Wednesday 12 June 2013

A present for my sister

I bought another voucher for my sister this year for her birthday. It's a nice voucher, and cash is so easily frittered on children and not spent on yourself, so not completely unthoughtful either, but it's also nice to give an actual present. So I thought I'd make a little crocheted gift to accompany the voucher, partly so I could wrap something up and partly so there was something to unwrap (birthdays are about getting lots of presents after all - or according to my very-soon-to-be-seven year old they are anyway).

As well as blankets, my crocheting thoughts have been turning towards 'hanging things' quite a lot recently. Not an official category of crochet I know, 'hanging decorations' is probably more apt although some ideas have been more functional/practical than decorative. Anyway, I decided to make my sister a garland of some sort, and really my idea was as vague as that when I went to have a nose at some yarn in town. This is what I found...


 
 
Gorgeous colours, some of my favourites at the moment. A dark coral, white, pale minty green (the sort you get in mint choc chip ice-cream) and soft cloudy grey. I'm sure my sister will love these colours too (I've seen some of them in and around her house and some have cropped up in conversations about nail varnish!). The yarn is Debbie Bliss Rialto Lace, a lovely soft merino lace weight yarn. I think when I left the house I was probably looking for cotton, but the colour of this yarn sold it to me. The plan was to make a garland from simple circles, a few flowers maybe, but nothing too fussy or over embellished. I didn't work from patterns, but adjusted each motif as I went along and decided on the next based on what had already been completed. I ended up with fifteen shapes, crocheted with a 2.5mm hook.
 


 

Six large, six small and three with extra dangly bits to add a bit more interest, all strung together with a white crocheted chain.
 
 
 
 

 




I'm really pleased with the results and the best bit is getting to wrap it up and give it away.




I think I might make one for myself too, in a different colour maybe... although that is probably yet another excuse to buy more yarn.

xx







1 comment:

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving your thoughts - I love to read them x