Thursday 16 January 2014

A bit of knitting

It is Thursday today. Yesterday it felt like it should be somewhere in between Thursday and Friday. I thought it was Wednesday when I woke up on Tuesday morning. I’m not sure why the week is dragging, first full week back at school maybe? Reality of the routine kicking in after the holiday? Hmmmmmm, not sure. Not too fussed really either, it just feels a bit strange.

Anyway, in spite of this fogginess as to which day I’m inhabiting I have been getting on with a few things, in a slightly foggy kind of way.
 
 
I’ve started to finish off something from my list (Hooray!). It is, or rather will be, a knitted rabbit. I knitted it years ago, can’t remember when exactly, ….no, in fact I just remembered! It started as a present for a new baby; I was going to make at least two I recall as my sister and I were expecting at the same time. When said present wasn’t finished in time it was then intended as an Easter present (rabbit = Easter, obviously) but that never happened either and it only occasionally saw the light of day after that when I was searching for other things. After which deductions I can announce that this rabbit was started sometime between the end of 2008 and beginning of 2009. Not the oldest thing on my list, but it has been hanging around for a while.

Needless to say I no longer have this, or any matching, yarn in my stash (why is that always the way?), so opted for a contrasting blanket stitch edge to join the sections of rabbit together.
 
 
Blanket stitch, lovely simple blanket stitch. So effective at making things look hand-crafted and loved. Only I forgot how to do it!! This should be written on the inside of my head somewhere in Sharpie should it not? How could I forget how to do this? Disbelief over and memory refreshed, I’m pleased with progress and the handmade-ness my wonky blanket stitch is giving to the rabbit. Also, I’ve written myself a reminder – do take a look if you need one too. A Blanket Stitch ‘How to’. It will suffice until I find a more permanent solution involving Sharpies!

More knitting! Thanks to Knit Camp I’ve picked up* a pair of knitting needles for the first time in nearly two whole years!

 
*When I say picked up, obviously I mean treated myself to some lovely bamboo needles.

As a result, the problem that has been stopping me from knitting has been solved. Hurrah!
You can see the point at which it was solved, the tension becomes noticeably better, no funny stripes on the wrong side and much neater stitches on the right side. I’ve been resisting the urge to dig out some pattern books that I know have been waiting patiently upstairs for this moment, but revelation aside, I’m not a fast knitter and I don’t want to be starting anything that might well become next year’s list!

 
Finally, we’ve had a birthday too. Evelyn turned three on Saturday. We had cake and a sparkly, noisy, joyful couple of hours with friends on Saturday afternoon. The culmination of which was a glitter glue and sequin frenzy by my girls after everyone had gone home. Not a bad way to turn three I think. 





xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving your thoughts - I love to read them x