Thursday 11 July 2013

Jam Tarts

The Queen of Hearts
She made some tarts,
All on a summer's day...


This was a bit of an experiment with jam and some shop bought puff pastry in need of using up.

We rolled out the pastry, not too thin, and cut out shapes using a heart shaped cookie cutter. I then scored another heart shape inside creating an edge (you could use a smaller cookie cutter instead), be careful not to cut all the way through, and pricked the centre with a fork.


A small dollop of strawberry jam in the centre, a bit of milk around the edge (applied with clean fingers in our case as the pastry brush was obviously off on it's own adventure; it wasn't in the drawer), and we popped them in the oven.


Now, I kept a watchful eye as I was fully expecting the jam to melt before the sides rose, and for it all to turn into a sticky jammy mess, but the sides rose first - Hooray! I did need to take them out of the oven a couple of times however, to re-prick the centres and stop the jam escaping.


I was pleasantly surprised by the results, considering it could have been a complete disaster! We made some with lemon curd too... super tasty with fresh raspberries.

xx

4 comments:

  1. These look fantastic! And, what an adorable little hostess with her crown on! I can hardly wait to try this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, jam tart hearts! they are fabulous!! Heather x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I'm just having a lovely afternoon, bloghopping from the links on Crochet Camp Facebook page, I'm so glad I saw these, they are so cute - I'm going to remember them for the next valentine's cake sale at school!
    Em xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, these look delicious. I used to really enjoy cooking when mine were little.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for stopping by and leaving your thoughts - I love to read them x